Supply Chain Manager or Director Richmond, Virginia
Job Ref: 37817
Supply Chain Manager or Director
Some key initiatives and information for each level:
Director – target is $150k (some flexibility) with 12% bonus
– raw materials sourcing- both companies (4 locations)
– sourcing parts for our machine manufacturing operation
– operating supplies sourcing and optimization across system
– sourcing savings initiative*
– 2-3 direct reports, it’s a small team.
Manager – $100k +, 12% bonus
– logistics sourcing across system
– logistics savings initiative*
– Likely will not have any direct reports at this time.
Company is a leading manufacturer of sustainable insulation for cold-chain packaging, used in the thermal protection of food and life science products shipped via e-commerce. The company has experienced rapid growth driven by increasing market demand for environmentally beneficial protective materials. Has over 700 employees with locations in Virginia (headquarters, manufacturing, and R&D), Michigan, and Nevada. The company serves blue-chip customers shipping thermally sensitive products via cold-chain e-commerce and distribution.
The Supply Chain Director will be directly responsible for sourcing and procurement of raw materials, logistics, and other services for the company’s rapidly growing platform of product lines. The ideal candidate will have experience in such sectors as specialty and/or commodity materials such as chemicals, paper, packaging, and other relevant industries, with deep experience in commodities management, materials requirements planning (MRP), and contract negotiation. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience in assessing and pursuing savings opportunities across the company’s entire supply chain. The candidate should have a demonstrated track record as a collaborative business partner across all functions including sales, manufacturing, and finance.
The role will be based out of Richmond, VA with travel of < 25% – it could be Richmond, Vegas, Michigan, or Reno – really depends on what location needs the most support.
Reports to: SVP Manufacturing
Other key relationships:
- Executive and extended Senior Leadership Teams
- Close collaboration with Sales, Finance, HR, and Strategy
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supply Chain Strategic Direction – In collaboration with Senior Leadership, develop and implement a long-term supply chain strategy that provides security of supply and competitive pricing in a framework that can expand as the business grows.
- Supply Base Development & Management – Grow and develop our existing supplier network. Professionalize our management of the supply base with a more rigorous approach and accountability. Leverage technology and tools to provide two-way information flows about the business.
- Continuous Improvement – Instill in the organization CI through best practices that deliver quantifiable business value. Establish metrics and benchmarks to track performance, improvements and quantify delivered business value.
- Optimization – Drive efficiency and synchronization across the supply chain to create a fully optimized footprint, across multiple plants and business units.
- Culture – Be a positive, can-do executive who leads by example and inspires others to follow. Be aspirational but practical and accountable; be collaborative. Possesses a visible and unwavering commitment to ethics and safety.
Key Competencies & Personal Attributes:
- This leader will have a strong track record as a people-oriented manager who leads by both doing and by inspiring others to follow. They will spend significant time with employees in the field and will routinely solicit ideas, suggestions, and work collaboratively to arrive at a better solution while reinforcing the value of the team. The individual will empower people and groups to take measured risks while measuring their performance and holding them accountable for results. They will routinely provide specific behavioral feedback and create development plans to improve the talent base and succession plans for people on the team.
- The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to deliver consistently expected operating and financial results. This individual will have introduced substantive improvements to processes, operations, or practices throughout a large portion of the business and will be relentless in driving positive change, and in measuring it through KPIs. The candidate also will have created new approaches to existing problems that have had significant impact on the business and will have implemented world–class and leading-edge performance standards.
Strong Analytical & Systems Capability
- The ideal candidate will have strong experience leading/establishing KPIs and analytical systems. The candidate will have hands-on experience with continuous process improvement. The candidate will be experienced implementing vendor management systems (scorecards) and MRP as well as a strong background in inventory control.
- Hands-on, engaged, and personally accountable. Strong business acumen. Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on value creation; highly analytical with a broad functional skillset and expertise; drives to finish everything they start.
- Able to articulate complex information and situations in a digestible form to stakeholders ranging from the shop floor to the board room. A superior, active listener.
Education & Experience:
- 15+ years of progressive experience in purchasing, supply chain, and logistics in a materials manufacturing environment
- A big plus to have experience and familiarity with the North American packaging paper manufacturing and converting industry.
- Minimum 4-year degree in business, engineering or a related field
- Track record of building high performing organizations by developing people within and by attracting high-caliber talent; this leader must be a “talent magnet”, one whom the organization will choose to follow.
- Rock-solid fundamentals in productivity and continuous improvement.
- Deep familiarity with leading edge processes and systems including ERP, inventory management, MRP.
- Fit with TemperPack’s venture-based culture which is fast-paced, hands-on, can- do, collaborative, and 100% ethical.
- Multi-disciplinary acumen and ability to draw together multiple functions within the company to prioritize opportunities, solve problems and delight customers (sales, finance, engineering, maintenance, supply chain, R&D, IT, and manufacturing).
- Genuine commitment to safety as a core value and track record of safety leadership.
A competitive compensation package, including base salary, bonus, and long-term, equity-based incentives, as well as benefits, will be provided.