Senior Polymer Scientist Lake Forest, California
Job Ref: 37719
OPENING FOR A SENIOR POLYMER SCIENTIST IN LAKE FOREST CA. LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WITH PLASTICS AND BLOW MOLD EXPEREINCE IS MADATORY. SALARY RANGE IS 110-135K
Job Description: Senior Polymer Scientist
Reporting To: Manager, Fuel Storage Systems
Research and development of new generation non-metallic liner system and advanced polymer composite, resins, adhesives, coatings as relating to the development and fabrication of high pressure composite fuel storage tank.
• Develop advanced liner materials and manufacturing processes for type IV composite pressure vessel application. Write material and process specifications.
• Develop and implement experimental procedures to investigate, compare and benchmark new concepts and their respective performance.
• Interface with manufacturing, QA, and other engineering groups to reduce process variation and document necessary process controls as they relate to the implementation of new and existing liner material technology.
• Specify, develop, and document new materials and processes for use in the development and validation of advanced composite-overwrapped, plastic lined pressure vessels and associated processes and accessories.
• Conduct literature and patent searches on new material and process technologies relating to the compay's core business.
• When applicable, write technical articles for publications and/or presentation as well as prepare and submit patent applications.
• Adopt and implement the Quality Assurance Procedures-QAP and Departmental Work Instructions-DWI, identified in QEMS Employee Training Matrix located in on the LAN
Education and/or Experience:
• BS, MS, and/or Ph.D. in polymer science, plastic engineering, or material science.
• 10+ years of experience in a research atmosphere with strong knowledge of polymer composite materials, including reinforcing fibers and structural resins for high-pressure gaseous fuels storage tanks. Experience in defining research programs and conducting program management. Good written and oral communication skills.
• 15+ years of hands-on experience in product and processing development of advanced polymer composite and engineering plastic material for high performance applications. Capable of taking research concepts into prototype phase through implementation of scientific method, data collection techniques and process controls
• Extensive knowledge of thermoplastic materials, resin systems, fibers, adhesives, and processing technologies such as roto-molding, blow molding, injection molding, compression molding and fiber winding as well as material characterization and product testing techniques.
Physical Job Requirements:
Desk job using computer as well as experimental material and process development in the lab and manufacturing facility. Occasional travel to suppliers, outside vendors e.g. machine shops, testing facilities and customer sites worldwide.