Controls Engineering Manager City of Industry, California
Job Ref: 37678
CONTROLS ENGINEERING MANAGER OPENING IN CITY OF INDUSTRY CA. VERY STRONG ON PLC AND ELECTRICAL CONTROLS AND MUST HAVE AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING DEGREE. FULL RELO FOR THIS ROLE AND MUST COME OUT OF FOOD OR BEVERAGE MANUFACTURING. SALARY RANGE IS 120-135K
JOB DESCRIPTION: Controls Engineering Manager
This position will work closely with Senior Plant Leadership to direct and manage the controls and automation team. This person will be an engineering professional with hands-on experience in Automation and Controls Systems design, implementation, management, and continuous improvement.
- Develop automation standard and work towards implementing standard in the manufacturing plants.
- Develop and maintain automation architecture of manufacturing plant.
- Develop preliminary design presentations for project evaluation and securing approval.
- Interface with all levels of plant and corporate personnel, contractors, suppliers, marketing, R&D, QA.
- Practice sound technical, communication and negotiation skills that ensure the successful implementation of Automation and Control Systems improvement project scope and budget.
- Understand and document current Automation and Controls Systems, identify areas for improvement, develop solutions for future states including the latest Automation technology, where applicable, and implement sustaining improvements.
- Optimize current Automation and Control Systems to meet all customer, regulatory, and internal requirements.
- Demonstrated project management experience in placing new Automation and Control Systems equipment and processes into operation is required.
- Proficient in visual communication of relevant information to Operations, including the reporting of historical events / trends to support root cause analysis and continuous improvement.
- Must practice proven decision-making skills, working effectively under pressure and possessing the integrity to make the right decisions.
- Utilize contracted resources to ensure the correct expertise is fully utilized to achieve project scope.
- Effective in delegating project tasks ensuring that key project initiatives/objectives, scope, budget and timelines are uninterrupted and met.
- Effectively interface with multiple cross functional teams including quality, technical services, R&D and with all levels of plant personal.
- Develops, conducts, and coordinates automation and controls training plans for plant mechanics
- Coaches and guides automation engineer team within assigned area of responsibilities
- Develop relationships and solicit input into the Automation and Control Systems continuous improvement considerations from key technical resources, plant leadership team, supervisors, maintenance personnel, and operators to facilitate the seamless Automation and Control Systems improvement project implementation into operation.
- Proficient in developing Requests for Proposals (RFP) for industrial automation related projects. Review automation controls related documents (electrical drawings, functional analysis), HMI design and programming to ensure it adheres to the Automation standard.
- Ensure Automation and Control Systems minimum performance, meet safety requirements, make sure that the product/system/process is consistent and repeatable, and provide for interfacing with other standard-compliant equipment (ensure compatibility).
- Set standards on Networking and Server System configuration and proper cabling specifications.
- Responsibilities also include development of internal policies, procedures, documentation and facilitating training on current and new Automation and Control Systems across the organization.
- Support Company initiatives and goals as assigned.
- Facilitate Automation and Control System feasibility studies and plant operations impact studies. Including completion of design concepts, information flow diagrams, and capital estimates.
- Develop Automation and Controls Systems documentation including functional descriptions, equipment specifications, standards, and best practices.
- Analyze, compare, and recommend Automation and Control Systems engineering proposals.
- Experience providing relevant information: Optimize data acquisition, alarming, reporting, archiving, and retrieval.
- Strong foundation in electrical controls and computerized control systems required.
Job skills and qualifications
- Experience and working knowledge of the following distributed Scada systems
- Inductive Automation’s Ignition Platform
- Wonderware System platform,
- Factory Talk View SE
- Experience and working knowledge in MSSQL.
- Experience and working knowledge in plant wide automation network design
- Experience and working knowledge in logic controller communications
- Experience and working knowledge of Allen Bradley/ Rockwell PLC programming
- RS Logix 500
- Studio 5000 (Ladder, Function Block, Sequential function chart, Structured Text is a plus)
- Experience and working knowledge in Industrial networking
- Ethernet/IP, Modbus TCP, IO Link , AS-I, DeviceNet
- Experience and working knowledge of historical data management and reporting software
Education and experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering and science discipline (Electrical or Computer Software Engineering, Computer Science preferred) from an accredited College or University.
- Minimum five (5) years Automation and Control Systems Engineering Project Management experience required, preferably in CPG beverage/food manufacturing.
- Automation and Control Systems installation, supervision, maintenance, and continuous improvement experience required