VP Manufacturing – confidential Las Vegas, Nevada
Job Ref: 37675
Innovative packaging components manufacturing is conducting a confidential search for a VP of Manufacturing for their Las Vegas facility.
We need someone to hold team members accountable, there are 200 employees at Las Vegas location, must be good at relationships and also bring a vision to the company. Director of Manufacturing will assist in training you to bring you up to speed. It would be a plus if someone has experience out of packaging manufacturing, steel manufacturing, plastic manufacturing, or pharma plant manufacturing environments. Each of the lines does about 35 million in units, manufacturing machines are designed here in Las Vegas, we do about 100 million in sales between Richmond and Las Vegas and Las Vegas does about half of that. This VP should be willing to learn the processes, be comfortable going out on the production floor and engaging with your people, will not sit at a desk, must be hands on – understand what the operators are doing, won’t necessarily turn a wrench but should be able to at least understand what the machine does, be willing to get your hands dirty if need be. Not really looking for someone who just wants to sit behind a desk all the time, you should be effective at engaging with your team and being out on the floor.
- Salary offering would be $150k – 180k DOE.
- Bonus is 12% for the first year with a bump to 14% in the second year and beyond. It’s all based on company matrix, has nothing to do with personal performance.
- This position would be eligible for equity shares. (could be pretty substantial, as the company is looking at tripling the value of the company in the next 2-3 years, currently around $28 a share now, privately held. Number of shares to be given will be negotiated, to be determined by the board of directors as part of the overall compensation package. Most individuals applying for this role should hopefully understand equity and the potential upside, but it can explained as well.
- 4 weeks PTO
Rapidly growing company with Las Vegas location manufactures innovative, sustainable packaging components for cold-chain shipping of food and pharmaceutical products.
The Vice President of Manufacturing will manage the daily operations of our manufacturing operation from raw material input through finished product pack out. The candidate will be responsible for leading a team of over 200 people consisting of hourly associates, Manufacturing Supervisors, Assistant Manufacturing Managers, Manufacturing Managers, and Process Engineers. Direct reports to the VP of Manufacturing may include managers or directors in the Maintenance, Manufacturing, Quality, Planning, Warehouse, and support function areas.
The Vice President of Manufacturing will be responsible for maintaining consistent and reliable performance along with continuous improvement of our daily manufacturing operation with primary focus on safety, quality, productivity, and staffing. The VP of Manufacturing will collaborate closely with other leaders in EHS, Quality, Maintenance, Warehouse, Production Planning, Engineering, Training & Development, Staffing and Human Resources to support the leadership, problem-solving and decision-making efforts in our high growth and fast-paced manufacturing facility.
The ideal candidate:
- Detail-oriented, organized, thorough, and prompt
- Reliable and accountable to support the team whenever necessary
- Fact-based root cause investigation and problem-solving ability
- Decisive, Assertive, and action oriented
- Ability to handle a large and dynamic workload while prioritizing and backlogging daily responsibilities appropriately based on existing needs
- Ability to constructively coach subordinates and develop appropriate team member competencies over time
- Ability to trouble-shoot machine and process failures in an industrial manufacturing setting
- Ability to collaborate well with other personnel on various fronts
- Self-directed in day-to-day task focus
- Open and responsive to feedback, challenge, and coaching
- Ownership in results and commitment to execution and goal achievement
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Financial acumen to correlate financial results to manufacturing opportunities
- Ability to gather data sets, breakdown, analyze and develop insights from the data
- Creative problem solver with vision toward future state and plan on how to get there
- Experienced and comfortable in an industrial manufacturing setting
- Comfortable with change and ability to adapt as needed
- Comfortable in a fast-paced and high-pressure environment
- Comfortable being hands-on in the process when needed to support job duties
- Familiar with OSHA regulatory compliance
- Familiar with ISO 9001 standards and compliance
- Familiar with process control and continuous improvement processes such as Lean, Six Sigma, etc.
- Familiar with labor regulatory compliance
Essential Job Functions:
- Implement and maintain necessary controls to ensure continuous safe operations, quality assurance in production, operational efficiencies, and appropriate staffing levels
- Execute production plans on a continuous basis
- Report out on various objectives and metrics at required frequencies
- Ensure appropriate record keeping for safety, quality, production, and personnel as required
- Support problem-solving and trouble-shooting efforts, as needed, to support continuous safe and efficient operations and departmental goal attainment
- Drive fact-based root cause analysis and problem-solving efforts through your team
- Identify critical opportunities in the operation and implement action plans to improve
- Execute on action plans as needed to achieve the goals at hand
- Conduct performance evaluations on subordinates at required frequencies
- Delegate and follow-up as needed to maintain speed of execution and keep your team prioritized on the critical issues at hand
- Audit and monitor daily operations to ensure compliance and integrity in the workplace
- Collaborate as needed to set challenging and attainable goals for the manufacturing operation
- Coach, train, and develop subordinates as needed to grow the team in knowledge, competency, and capability
- Implement continuous improvement practices to drive consistent progress on key results
- Collaborate with superiors, subordinates, and peers to execute on the objectives and goals of the company
- Maintain team accountability to workplace policies and standards
- Gain recognition from your team as a respected leader, mentor, and coach that demonstrates the core values of the company on a consistent basis
- Other duties as necessitated by the business
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Industrial manufacturing leadership experience required within a complex, continuous manufacturing operation
- 10-15 years of experience preferred
- Experience with process control and continuous improvement processes such as Lean, Six Sigma, etc. is required
- Technical problem-solving abilities required
- People coaching and problem-solving abilities required
Education and Certifications:
- College degree required in an Engineering field or related discipline
- Advanced college degree is a plus
- Be on your feet for 8-12 hours
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds unassisted
- Able to reach, bend, kneel and climb while performing repetitive tasks
- Ability to work in hot and cold environments
- Able to correctly wear PPE for entire shifts
- Able to react and respond quickly to noises, smells, visual hazards, and alerts