Instrumentation Engineer Birmingham,
Job Ref: 37662
The Instrumentation & Controls Engineer will report to the Project Manager/Director and will take responsibility for all engineering activities within their given brief. The ideal candidate is expected to pro-actively oversee external engineering design teams as part of owner’s engineering team. Throughout the design process the I&C Engineer will review designs for accuracy and efficiency in order to construct a safe and economical facility. A broad knowledge across all aspects of instrumentation and controls engineering designs for industrial manufacturing facilities is required.
We are seeking a talented, motivated, and top performer to join our team.
- Support the project team in management, supervision, and oversight of contracted engineering design teams, equipment suppliers, material suppliers, and construction contractors pertinent to his/her engineering discipline expertise.
- Provide guidance and recommendations applicable to his/her engineering discipline expertise to technical engineering and construction teams during project planning, execution, and delivery.
- Review and approve control systems equipment technical specifications including DCS, SIS, and PLC systems.
- Review and approve instrumentation technical datasheets.
- Review supplier bid proposals for completeness and compliance with RFP documentation.
- Review and approval of project design criteria, material specifications, engineering designs, and construction details.
- Review control room and rack room layouts/arrangements for efficiency and code compliance.
- Review of equipment supplier engineering and shop fabrication drawings.
- Review construction contractor RFP’s and bid proposals.
- Facilitate and manage supplier requests for information (RFI) responses.
- Interface with management, business, and engineering teams to resolve project related issues.
- Coordinate and work with project stakeholders across multiple organizations to reduce risk and enable maximum value delivery for
- As needed, arrange, and attend meetings, including recording, writing, and issuing of minutes.
- Provide field support as needed for project engineering and construction teams.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering is preferred. Candidates with other related engineering degrees will be considered.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as a instrumentation and controls engineer in an industrial manufacturing design or operating environment.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) is a plus
- Knowledge and design execution experience in controls philosophy, interlocks, system integration, process and instrumentation diagrams, wiring schematics, instrument loop sheets, marshalling panels, field junction boxes, and hazardous area classification.
- Well-versed in current US electrical design codes and standards (NFPA, NEC, NESC, IBC, IFC, IECC, etc.) relative to occupied buildings, structures, and industrial manufacturing facilities.
- Experience in full project life-cycle execution (i.e. planning to launch)
- Knowledge of industry best practices
- Knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- High-level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation
- Proactive self-starter with an ‘owner’s mindset’; requires minimal direct supervision
- Consistently delivers quality work on time, with a strong attention to detail
- Strong level of decision-making skills and accountability
- Ability to be adaptable and flexible
- Strong analytical, negotiation and creative problem-solving skills
- High degree of time management
- Exceptional oral communication, writing and editing skills with an ability to communicate clearly, concisely, confidently, and professionally within all levels of the company
- Maintains strict confidentiality and discretion with respect sensitive information