Purchasing Manager Santa Fe Springs, California
Job Ref: 37556
100k – 115k – food industry experience is wanted.
Bilingual ability in Spanish is a plus but not a requirement
This Manager will have 1 Buyer under them now and then they are hiring a Buyer Assistant for total of 2 subordinates.
There will be prolonged periods of sitting at desk, they will be in an office environment, will visit warehouse and production at times but not frequently.
The Purchasing Manager will oversee and direct the activities of the purchasing department and buyer.
- Manages the Buyer, and other staff as needed.
- Oversees the daily workflow and schedules of the department.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Works alongside Human Resources to resolve personnel issues in accordance with company policy.
- Collaborates with other departments and leadership to identify and develop needs and requirements for equipment, materials, products, and acceptable substitutions.
- Assesses current material availability; reasonably predicts future availability based on the market, delivery systems, and other variables.
- Resolves grievances with vendors, contractors, and suppliers.
- Maintains and/or implements purchasing and recordkeeping systems.
- Acts as the company’s representative in negotiations with suppliers.
- Coordinates shelf-life extensions and removal or disposal of surplus or expired materials.
- Administers the departmental budget.
- Drafts, explains, and implements instructions, policies, and procedures for purchasing and contract management.
- Maintains excellent vendor relationship management.
- Maintains strong negotiation skills to ensure cost reduction and volume discounts along with excellent organization skills.
- Purchases certain commodities including bagging, bottles, cartons, and foils.
- Participates in packaging design and its engineering for finished goods packages.
- Assists in proper maintenance of inventory for both Long Beach and Santa Fe Springs locations.
- Disposes of dated inventory in an appropriate fashion based on company and customer requirements.
- Other related duties as deemed necessary
Food Safety Responsibilities
- Every employee is responsible for Food Safety
- Food Defense Team Member
- Crisis management team member
- Purchase only from approved suppliers, approve/disqualify suppliers
- Warehouse Stock rotation
- Waste disposal
- Approve/Disqualify Contract Service Providers
- Follow all Good Manufacturing Practices and Pre-requisite programs including:
- Personnel Hygiene (including hand wash procedures)
- Personnel Processing Practices
- Allergen Procedures
- Food Defense Procedures
- Product Identification, Label/Lot Control procedures
- Waste Disposal procedures
- Must report food safety and quality problems to personnel with authority to initiate action: SQF Practitioner, Quality Management, Plant/Production Management, or Supervisors
- Maintain specifications log of equipment, protective clothing & utensils.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field or minimum 7 years in a progressive purchasing position, minimum last 4 years in management role
- Advance knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Excel-Pivot tables, vlookups, and If functions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven negotiation skills.
- Working knowledge of ERP systems, NetSuite a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Highly organizational with attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to effectively train others.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Thorough understanding of materials and supplies used in the company.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access all areas of the facility to determine department needs.
- May require travel to department related shows or to meet with vendors.
- Direct Report – General Manager