Senior MRO Buyer Santa Cruz, California
Job Ref: 37417
The Senior Maintenance, Repair & Operations (MRO) Buyer purchases and maintains parts for all maintenance machines, tools, hardware, chemicals, and equipment. The Senior MRO Buyer is responsible for ordering and ensuring consistent availability of all these items. Leads and controls the outflow and inflow of supplies, parts, tools and other related inventory items, and coordinates shipment, loading and storage activities related to maintenance inventory. The Senior MRO Buyer develops, initiates, maintains and improves maintenance inventory control policies and procedures and supports related planning activities. Keeps track of large amounts of inventory using computerized inventory systems and ensures all items are appropriately received and stored. The Senior MRO Buyer maintains accurate inventory levels, makes ordering decisions, and ensures the optimal inventory is ready for use by the Maintenance team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the outflow and inflow of maintenance inventory, as well as related shipment, loading and storage activities.
- Support the development, initiation, maintenance and improvement of maintenance inventory control policies and procedures, as well as related planning activities.
- Track inventory using computerized inventory systems and ensure all items are appropriately received and stored.
- Maintain accurate inventory levels, make ordering decisions, and ensure the optimal inventory is ready when needed.
- Forecast and prepare for future MRO purchasing changes or requirements.
- Work with members of the maintenance and facilities teams, other departments as needed.
- Examine and investigate misidentified or out-of-balance items and determine the causes for the discrepancies. Investigate discrepancies and inventory shortages.
- Investigate problems in the maintenance inventory system and execute necessary improvements towards better business performance, with a focus on customer satisfaction.
- Track inventory maintenance and keep management up to date regarding inventory inflow and outflow; compile inventory information and presents it to management with recommendations for effective decision making, which may include the need for restock or for quick resolution of issues.
- Regularly interact with and negotiate with vendors to obtain the most cost-efficient supplies and equipment.
- Distribute parts and other materials to authorized personnel.
- Manage maintenance department shipping and receiving and maintain records of all items to be shipped.
- Assist and advise personnel regarding choice of replacement parts, equipment, etc.
- Drive the development, maintenance, and enhancement of Maintenance SOPs, as well as related training activities.
- Support maintenance personnel with projects and work orders as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 5 years’ MRO purchasing experience.
- Inventory control experience including cycle counting, inventory reconciliation, purchasing and receiving.
- Professional mechanical and administrative experience.
- Experience training others on policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic mechanics and ability to read and understand manuals.
- Strong time management, communication, teamwork, organization, reporting and problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency with computerized inventory control systems.
- Strong computer programming and Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel.
- Degree in accounting, business, or related field.
- Prior mechanical maintenance experience in the food processing industry.
- Nutraceutical or pharmaceutical production industry experience.