Maintenance Refrigeration Tech Ontario, California
Job Ref: 36725
Overview: Refrigeration Technician will interact with the leadership group, production team members, quality assurance, and other maintenance technicians to improve and maximize plant output, efficiency, quality, and safety. Duties include proactively troubleshooting, maintaining, operating, inspecting, and repairing various types of Freon refrigeration equipment.
Refrigeration Technician will perform preventative and predictive maintenance as directed by the Supervisor. This includes verifying that all equipment is operating within the manufacturer’s specifications and tolerances through periodic testing and inspections. Duties are performed in a high volume, manufacturing environment where individuals are involved with overhauling equipment and the installation of new equipment.
• Perform maintenance as necessary to maintain production at target efficiencies.
• Perform PM maintenance and repairs as directed by the direct Supervisor on compressors, condensers, evaporators, pumps, vessels, valves, purgers, and other machinery included in the Freon refrigeration equipment.
• Replacement of defective mechanical and manual valves
• Control the equipment set points to accommodate the needs of our product.
• Maintain control of the water treatment system and associated chemicals
• Replace defective fan motors
• Remove ice buildup from evaporator drain pans, investigate the cause and correct the problem
• Work in motor room, freezer, and blast cell areas
• Drain oil from Freon system
• Fill out daily reports as directed by the direct Supervisor
• Remove and reinstall Freon compressors
• Perform motor alignments by use of dial caliper indicators
• Compressor and pump shaft seal replacements
• Perform oil and Freon sampling for analysis on a regular schedule
• Work directly with all refrigeration contractors, electricians, and pipe fitters when they are working on the Freon refrigeration system to ensure that they are following all of the company safety policies and meeting work standards.
• Inspect Freon detection system
• Ensure that all Freon system safeguards are functioning properly at all times
• Check integrity and tolerances by the use of a micrometer
• Must be able to read and interpret P& ID drawings
• Troubleshoot electrical problems
• Ability to write SOPs, pump down procedures, LOTO procedures.
• Remove and install 3 phase motors
• Monitor fire safety systems.
• Lay out, assemble, install, and maintain pipe systems and related hydraulic and pneumatic equipment and repairs and replaces gauges, valves, pressure regulators, and related equipment.
• Must have working knowledge in 480 volt electrical safety practices, and must be able to troubleshoot complex electrical systems.
• Must have working knowledge of electrical power distribution, instrumentation and Programmable controller (PLC) programming.
• Must be able to troubleshoot power distribution systems.
• Other duties and responsibilities assigned by direct Supervisor
Job Title: Refrigeration Technician
Reports To: Maintenance Supervisor
Exempt/ Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt
• Must have working knowledge of OSHA, and GMP requirements as they pertain to refrigeration maintenance activities.
• Must be very knowledgeable with EPA regulations pertaining to the release of refrigerant.
• Must be knowledgeable in forklift and scissor lift safety.
• Must be knowledgeable in equipment Lock-Out/Tag-Out requirements. Must not by-pass Safety Devices under any circumstance! Requirements:
• Minimum of 5 years of refrigeration experience
• Interest and ability to obtain a CAIRO/CIRO certification through RETA
• PSM/RMP training would be beneficial but not a necessity.
• Ability to read blueprints and technical manuals (mechanical and electrical).
• Technical Education is a Plus.
• Bilingual Spanish is a Plus.
• Able to meet physical demands in work environment as generally described below Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or two-three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Food Safety & Quality Requirements/Responsibilities:
• Adheres to all Food Safety/Quality SOP’s
• Accurately completes required Food Safety & Quality records
• Communicates any known or suspected Food Safety/ Quality issues to the Q.A. Team Leader
• Attends all Food Safety/Quality training sessions
Physical Requirements: The physical demands and work environment described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, Requires the employee to stand for long periods of time, walk, frequent lifting of material up to 50 pounds and frequent twisting, turning, reaching, pushing and pulling use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs, balance; stoop, kneel or crouch; talk and hear.
Work Environment: Work is normally performed in a warehouse/production environment as part of the job requirements employee may be exposed to work in a production setting and cold temperature at times. Must be flexible with work schedule that supports a 24 hour production facility. Schedule may include weekends.