Mechanical Engineer City of Industry, California
Job Ref: 36695
MECHANICAL ENGINEER CITY OF INDUSTRY CA
1. Finite Analysis
2. New Product Development/Engineer
4. High Frequency Manufacturing
Job Description: Mechanical Engineer
This is a direct contributor role reporting to the Manager of New Product Development. The primary activities will be doing mechanical design (from sketches to 3D modeling and 2D drafting), thermal and structural simulation, design verification testing, and New Product introduction (releasing validated BOMs, approving first articles, troubleshooting pre-production and early productions issues, jig and fixture development, etc.).
- Product development from concept to production for commercial lighting fixtures.
- Technical requirements definition and documentation.
- Product requirements verification and validation.
- Technical Project planning.
- Leading and collaborating with other engineering team members.
- Creation of a product specification that meets all requirements including cost, reliability, and performance.
- Releasing to manufacturing a validated, complete, and accurate set of manufacturing and assembly specifications/instructions and bills of materials.
- Familiarity working with NRTLs and compliance engineering to meet product safety and regulatory approval.
- Familiarity with simulation of Structural and thermal analysis.
- Expert level manufacturing drawing creation including use of proper tolerances.
- First article inspection and tooling review and approval experience.
- Supporting pilot production of new products.
- Experience designing electromechanical elements and machinery to meet safety, environmental, performance, and regulatory requirements such as UL1598, UL8750, IEC 60598, IEC 60529 (IP Code), and/or others.
- Knowledge of LED devices and optical materials and fabrication methods for illumination.
- Knowledge of thermal mitigation methods for luminaires or similar.
- Experience designing human interfacing adjustable mechanisms.
- Expert level knowledge of SolidWorks 3D CAD or similar.
- Familiar with a defined PPAP.
- Experience visiting and auditing component manufacturer and assembly plants worldwide.
- Experience making cost estimates for proposed designs at the component part and assembly level.
- Knowledge of statistical methods for tolerance analysis.
- Hands-on fabrication and prototyping experience.
- Working with quick turn short run prototyping suppliers.
- Industry best practices knowledge for data management.
- Experience working with a revision controlled/management system including Engineering Change Notice/Order workflows.
- Experience defining testing methods and data analysis.
- Methodical problem solving.
- A collaborative approach to engineering and willingness to give and receive technical advice.
- Technical curiosity and desire to learn new and emerging methods and techniques.
- Ability to travel to trade shows, suppliers, and factories nationally and internationally on occasion (less than 10%).