Quality Manager Santa Fe Springs, California
Job Ref: 36644
- This person must be strong but at the same time have good people skills, be approachable, show a flexible personality.
- Must have both technical and managerial skills
- Managing a department of 8 people (3 in a nearby Long Beach location)
- Will be reporting to Quality Director
- It is a hands-on job, will spend a lot of time on the floor working with Production team.
- Mentorship is needed to bring up department standards
- Will need to learn company start up process, requires to be onsite as early as 4 am for a period of time and you should also expect to work Saturdays to support the department for a period of time
- BS Degree in food science, engineering, chemistry or related fields
- Minimum 5 years Quality management experience (No less than 5-7 years, prefer 7-10 years)
- Up to $115k/year
- Ideal candidate will be bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience with FDA food facilities.
This position is responsible for managing and controlling the company’s quality systems and supervising the Quality staff.
- Manages and controls the company’s Quality Systems and associated quality staff in order to develop and fortify continuous improvement of the firm’s food safety policies related to its quality training and safety programs; its SOPs, SSOPs, HACCP and cGMPs.
- Oversees the development, implementation, review, and maintenance of the SQF System
- Holds and maintains HACCP and cGMP certifications.
- Maintains, continuously develops and validates HACCP, cGMP, and (Global Food Safety Initiative) GFSI food safety scheme certifications.
- Helps Conduct ongoing GMP training, and ensure high quality operational methods and personnel practices.
- Manages allergen control sanitation verification program.
- Develops, monitors and maintains in coordination with the Purchasing Manager, the firm’s Supplier Quality Program
- Ensures adherence and regulatory compliance with associated government agencies to include domestic compliance with 21 CFR Parts 100 to 169, including Part 111 referring to the cGMPs for Dietary Supplements, NLEA, DSHEA and compliance with government regulations with regard to any country for which the firm is engaged in trade.
- Manages, controls, fulfills and complies with required private third party and government audits of the firm’s Quality Systems as required.
- Monitors adherence and compliance with Orthodox Union’s contract with the facility to remain a kosher dairy.
- Oversees HACCP plan development
- Enforces the SQF System
- Implements the Quality Assurance and Quality Control Program
- Having knowledge of recall procedures
Food Safety Responsibilities
- Oversee the development, implementation, review, and maintenance of the SQF System including:
Food Safety Fundamentals (Pre-requisite programs)
Food Safety HACCP Plan
- Document Control and Records control coordinator
- Assists with contract service provider approval and register
- Assists with raw material specifications
- Approves suppliers and maintains approved supplier register
- Nonconforming Product/HOLD decision maker
- Finished Product Release program
- Calibration program
- Foreign Matter control including X-ray and metal detector procedures
- GMP and Sanitation verification including pre-op inspections
- Allergen program including verification during change-overs
- Water, Air and environmental testing programs
- Receiving procedures including QC Raw and Packaging Material releases
- Helps manage the Internal Audit Program
- Validation and verification of SQF System
- Take appropriate action to ensure integrity of SQF system
- Communicate to relevant staff their roles and responsibilities in SQF system
- Helps oversee training program and ensure training of employees to adopt food safety practices and meet food safety goals.
- Assist with Customer Complaint Program
- Helps coordinate and Conduct Management Reviews of SQF system
- Food Defense Team Member
- Helps coordinate recalls, withdrawals, mock recalls, and traceability exercises
- Every employee is responsible for Food Safety.
- Follow all Good Manufacturing Practices and Pre-requisite programs including:
- Personnel Hygiene (including hand wash procedures)
- Personnel Processing Practices
- Allergen Procedures
- Food Defense Procedures
- Product Identification, Label/Lot Control procedures
- Waste Disposal procedures
- Must report food safety and quality problems to personnel with authority to initiate action: SQF Practitioner, Quality Management, Plant/Production Management, or Supervisors
- BS Degree in Food Science, Engineering, Chemistry or related fields
- Must be HACCP Certified
- Must be trained and certified for implementation of SQF (SQF Practitioner)
- Must be trained and certified for Internal Auditing of SQF systems
- Must be GMP trained or certified
- Bi-lingual a plus, English and Spanish
- Minimum of 5 years in a Managerial position, 7- 10 years desirable
- Qualified candidate will have experience with FDA food facilities
- Must have strong leadership, technical and interpersonal skills
- Computer proficiency using Microsoft Office
- Reporting Structure
- Direct Report – Director of Quality and R&D