Purchasing Manager Santa Fe Springs, California
Job Ref: 36476
Purchasing Manager 90k – 110k
Relationship skills are very important here. Company is at 30 million now, planning to grow to 60 million and then 90 million in 3-5 years. This is a growth challenge, food value added company, going to be a disrupter in the industry, need someone who wants to build something together! The company might grow by acquisitions and you might do some travel to look at companies.
Need someone who can fit into the culture, there is a large Spanish speaking culture so bilingual ability is a big plus, the company is growing a lot, this candidate needs to be hands on and not afraid to get their hands dirty, Will be over a purchasing assistant and a warehouse person for now, but this group will grow. They'd like someone with inventory control experience, help them to build that system, they're looking to double and triple the system, should have knowledge of ERP systems, be able to talk to vendors and negotiate with vendors. They using Sage as their ERP system but they’re not using the modules well, a cross industry experienced person could work here, they don't necessarily need to come out of the food industry but it's a big plus. They want a personable individual, this department will be your baby, will deal with 2-3 million in inventory that will grow to 5-10 million over the next 2-3 years.
The Purchasing Manager will oversee and direct the activities of the purchasing department and purchasing assistant.
- Manages the Purchasing Assistant, and other staff as needed.
- Oversees the daily workflow and schedules of the department.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Collaborates with other departments and leadership to identify and develop needs and requirements for equipment, materials, products, and acceptable substitutions.
- Assesses current material availability; reasonably predicts future availability based on the market, delivery systems, and other variables.
- Resolves grievances with vendors, contractors, and suppliers.
- Maintains and/or implements purchasing and recordkeeping systems.
- Acts as the company’s representative in negotiations with suppliers.
- Coordinates removal or disposal of surplus or expired materials.
- Administers the departmental budget.
- Drafts, explains, and implements instructions, policies, and procedures for purchasing and contract management.
- Maintains excellent vendor relationship management.
- Maintains strong negotiation skills to ensure cost reduction and volume discounts along with excellent organization skills.
- Purchases certain commodities including bagging, bottles, cartons, and foils.
- Participates in packaging design and its engineering for finished goods packages.
- Assists in proper maintenance of inventory for both Long Beach and Santa Fe Springs locations.
- Disposes of dated inventory in an appropriate fashion based on company and customer requirements.
Food Safety Responsibilities
- Every employee is responsible for Food Safety
- Food Defense Team Member
- Crisis management team member
- Purchase only from approved suppliers, approve/disqualify suppliers
- Warehouse Stock rotation
- Waste disposal
- Approve/Disqualify Contract Service Providers
- Follow all Good Manufacturing Practices and Pre-requisite programs including:
- Personnel Hygiene (including hand wash procedures)
- Personnel Processing Practices
- Allergen Procedures
- Food Defense Procedures
- Product Identification, Label/Lot Control procedures
- Waste Disposal procedures
- Must report food safety and quality problems to personnel with authority to initiate action: SQF Practitioner, Quality Management, Plant/Production Management, or Supervisors
- Maintain specifications log of equipment, protective clothing & utensils.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with proven negotiation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills with the ability to effectively train others.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Understanding of business and management principles.
- Thorough understanding of materials and supplies used in the company.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
- Experience with Sage software
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field or minimum of 3 years of purchasing and management experience
- Packaging experience
- Must be trained on:
- Crisis management planning and food fraud
- Other company food safety procedures including prerequisite programs – see training requirements
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access all areas of the facility to determine needs.
- May require travel