EH&S Manager San Leandro, California
Job Ref: 36457
Environmental, Health and Safety Manager
About the Role
As the Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) Manager you will be responsible for enabling employees to inspect and evaluate the environment, equipment and processes in our manufacturing plant and our corporate office, and developing the necessary processes, resources, communications and programs to ensure our employees and the environment is protected.
As EH&S Manager, safety is your number one priority and you will act as a resource and subject matter expert for employees at all levels. You will continue to follow our TPM Safety approach and with our solid safety KPI’s and KAI’s measures in place, your main focus is to work with the team on proactive safety improvements and constantly increase the risk awareness of all employees and build a strong safety culture within the company. You will be expected to investigate accidents, identify their causes and build prevention strategies. You will also proactively identify gaps and propose and develop solutions that ensure our safety and drive compliance with applicable safety regulations as defined by Federal and State regulatory agencies (OSHA/Cal-OSHA). In addition, you will manage contracted resources that provide EH&S support and security for our various locations.
This position reports to the VP Operations.
Scope of Responsibilities:
• Lead the Safety Pillar and increase the level of pillar maturity.
• Work with cross functional partners to define and build business continuity and overall environmental health and safety plans to address key issues like fire evacuation, work accident, earthquake evacuation, active shooter, violence in the workplace, handling transients and/or shoplifters in the store, etc.
• Oversee the Emergency Evacuation Team.
• Work with the Engineering team to budget and implement improvements to our safety and security systems.
• Monitor all areas of possible water contamination. Manage storm water pollution prevention plans to ensure compliance with applicable regulatory requirements including reporting requirements.
• Identify potentially hazardous biological, chemical and radiological materials and manage protection.
• Manage spill containment, notification and remediation procedures in the event of a reportable release.
• Manage the company's relationship with local and State Safety authorities.
• Lead any regulatory visits and inspections (e.g. OSHA/Cal-OSHA.)
• Serve as Point of Contact for HR, plant supervisors/management ensuring they have the knowledge, resources and tools to:
• Review Accident Reports submitted and propose corrective actions
• Follow-up to ensure that modifications for injured workers are being properly administered and followed
• Conduct necessary training for new and existing employees
• Handle emergency situations
• Serve as Community Advocate and liaison to relay information/complaints from community i.e., businesses, residents, local officials and coordinate corrective action.
• Negotiate, hire, train and manage contracted Security staff, updating all post orders to ensure that the company guidelines for facility security and safety are followed.
• Maintain agency and company mandated records and reports, OSHA log, Monthly KPI and KAI.
• Maintain proper environmental permits and records for compliance with local and state authorities (water, waste, emission, etc.).
Position Profile: Attributes for Success
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
• Strong collaborator and leader
• Strong negotiation and influencing skills
• Strong problem solving / Root Cause Analysis skills
• Strong written communication skills
• Ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization
• A knowledge of state insurance and safety laws and regulations
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Ability to comprehend technical material and medical analysis in insurance reports
• Utilizes good judgment in determining the need for legal proceedings
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Ability to facilitate and coordinate training programs at various levels in the organization
• Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
Education and Work Experience:
• BA/BS degree in Occupational Health, environmental or industrial safety or related field a plus
• TPM experience a must, Safety Pillar lead experience a plus
• Between 3-5 years experience in a manufacturing environment a must and supervisory capacity preferred.
• A knowledge of medical terminology a plus.
• Current CPR/First Aid certification is a plus or the ability to be CPR/First Aid certified.
• Current CalOSHA training certifications in relevant areas a plus.