Plant Director North Bay, Ontario
Job Ref: 36352
Job Title: Plant Director
Region: Americas Location: North Bay, ON Canada
Position Reports To: Regional Director of Operations
This Position has 5 Direct Reports:
Section 2: Job Summary
Provide leadership and direction to all manufacturing departments. Ensure compliance to all company policies and
Responsible for all manufacturing related activities in the areas of safety, environmental, sustainability, quality,
productivity, and cost control.
Establish and maintain a culture of empowerment and continuous improvement.
Section 3: Primary Responsibilities (Task, Duties Performed and Essential Functions)
1. Responsible for establishment, compliance and leadership of plant safety objectives.
2. Ensure compliance to all safety policies and procedures. Establish and maintain a “safety first” culture.
3. Plan, organize, and direct the manufacturing, process engineering, and maintenance functions to ensure the most effective return on assets.
4. Interact regularly with Frontline Leaders and production employees to provide direction and leadership. Be a visible presence in manufacturing and distribution areas.
5. Implement manufacturing strategies and action plans to ensure alignment with the company’s strategic initiatives
and core values.
6. Initiate plans and processes to minimize manufacturing costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment,
facilities, materials and capital.
7. Ensure compliance with all government regulatory requirements.
8. Establish and maintain a culture of continuous improvement, quality, high performance and process excellence.
9. Establish team and individual accountabilities for problem solving and cost reduction.
10. Ensure effective labor utilization within departments to allow for maximum return on labor investment.
11. Manage spending against budget and in relation to production volume.
12. Establish management practices throughout facility to encourage employees’ positive involvement, with the opportunity for constructive input and action.
13. Conduct operations plant communications meetings. Ensure effective communication with all employees.
14. Ensure budget and financial forecasts are developed and met.
15. Partner with Finance function to ensure all business related decisions are financially/legally/ethically justified.
16. Ensure timely, effective and efficient procurement, inventory levels and delivery of finished goods.
17. Partner with the Human Resources function to ensure effective management of human resources.
18. Participate in long term strategic planning involving the optimum utilization of company assets and human
19. Through leveraged knowledge of current technology and market trends, participates in the definition of advanced products required to sustain a cost effective competitive position.
20. Responsible for driving the full implementation of cost improvement programs to consistently maintain a cost competitive edge in the manufacturing of products.
21. Direct or support the effective implementation of investment projects approved for capacity or facility expansion and upgrades.
22. Creates and maintains contingency plans.
23. Direct and supports ISO 9001:2015 requirements
24. Continuously validates quality indicators and best practices developed in other company plants (internal benchmarking).
25. Prepare and present annual budget to senior management. .
26. Supervise/manage direct reports (including decision-making for hiring, promotion and discharge).
27. May lead or participate in regional or global projects.
28. Other duties as assigned.
Section 4: Physical Requirements
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met
by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
? Physical demands: Office environment with exposure to Manufacturing, Warehousing, and Laboratory environments.
Physical demands are light, occasionally may lift up to 35 pounds. The majority of employee’s day is spent sitting with the
remainder spent standing and walking. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and
the ability to adjust focus.
? Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions prevalent
at the time; dust; heat; humidity, odors. The noise level in the work environment varies and hearing protection is required
in some work areas. The employee is frequently exposed to high speed machinery with open inward rolls, high temperature
surfaces and moving lift truck traffic.
Section 5: Education / Work Experience
Education (Degree/Major) Bachelor’s degree in related field required (Engineering preferred). Master’s Degree
Certifications Six Sigma green or black belt preferred
Work Experience 7 years minimum leadership experience in a manufacturing facility. (textile or extrusion preferred)
Experience in quality control, engineering and operations of a
textile, paper or extrusion manufacturer preferred.
Section 6 : Competencies (Technical, Business / Organizational, People / Behavioral)
1. Situational Leadership skills and strong personal accountability to achieve goals.
2. Develops the competency, confidence and leadership abilities of others through effective coaching and delegation.
3. Ability to be a change agent and drive results
4. Persuasive and politically astute to manage various functions both internal and external to the manufacturing plant.
5. Ability to empower and motivate people for involvement, cooperation and compliance.
6. Strong personal accountability to achieve goals and develops this in others through effective coaching and
7. Proactively develops plans for improvement and effectively communicates and sells those plans to others
8. Ability to deliver committed performance indicators. Initiates corrective action, anticipates issues, and develops
9. Considers and formulates new ways to exceed company objectives.
10. Inspires others to see and to help seize emerging opportunities for improvement and success.
11. Takes responsibility for actions, respects confidentiality, completes commitments on time, and uses data to support decisions
1. Proactively seeks and seizes opportunities to improve the company’s offerings and overall positioning.
2. Strong sense of urgency.
3. Develops and refines strategic plans and action plans to achieve declared objectives.
4. Effectively communicates / sells those plans to others, gathers and incorporates further input where appropriate and
then implements action steps efficiently and prudently.
5. Self-motivated to improve processes and performance. Can adapt and reapply new ideas and methods to improve
6. Pursues training and development opportunities to continuously build knowledge and skills.
7. Challenges, coaches & aligns staff and extended interdepartmental networks in planning, decision-making,
facilitating and process improvement.
8. Manages performance, talent and growth of teams.
9. Effective communication skills, written and oral, including presentation skills, technical and program writing, and the ability to communicate with all levels of management and employees.
1. Balances team and individual responsibilities;
2. Recognizes accomplishments of other associates.
3. Offers constructive feedback and advice to fellow associates in a tactful manner.
4. Accepts and considers feedback and advice to enhance probability of desired outcomes.
5. Partners and works effectively across all functions and levels.
6. Works effectively with others to achieve performance goals
Oral & Written Communication
1. Speaks and writes clearly and persuasively. Responds well to questions. Employs active listening skills.
2. Demonstrates strong group presentation skills; Presents information, ideas, conclusions and abstract concepts
concisely and effectively.
3. Can interface effectively with customers, vendors, contractors and senior leaders.
1. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully and efficiently.
2. Prioritizes and identifies causal connections, related issues and actionable alternatives.
3. Applies practical criteria to decision alternatives in order to choose course of action.
4. Considers and articulates implications for implementation.
1. Detailed knowledge of the company and product technologies, data analysis skills, broad understanding of related
2. Demonstrated proficiency in the use of standard office machines and computer software including Outlook, Excel, Word, Powerpoint.
3. Knowledge of standard accepted continuous process improvement techniques and strategies.
4. General understanding of machinery and tools.
5. Basic knowledge of OSHA and EPA laws, standards and regulations governing manufacturing sites (29 CFR 1910).
6. Working knowledge of manufacturing industry (woven, non-woven or textile-related preferred).
7. Strong business understanding of finance, economics, sales trends, distribution and inventory management, human
resource management and effective utilization of resources
8. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
9. Strong negotiation skills
10. Uses data and proven methods to analyze, troubleshoot, and develop solutions to problems.
1. Identifies, establishes, champions and leads change initiatives.
2. Adapts to shifts in marketplace and to organizational change as required.
1. Firm working knowledge of business concepts and emerging business climate.
2. Continually improves knowledge of market, customers, competitors, suppliers, technologies.
3. Connects all decisions and activities to people, customers, strategic initiatives, company core values and the P&L.
1. Ability to work outside normal business hours to include evenings, nights, and weekends.
2. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Section 8: Country Specifications US
? Residency Required: Must be eligible to work in Canada.
? Language: English required