Electromechanical Tech Calumet City, Illinois
Job Ref: 36205
There are 2 openings on a current staff of 7 maintenance guys. You'll be given a maintenance test and an electrical test, should have the ability to read and comprehend, it’s a pen and paper test taken at the plant, it’s a timed test.
Electromechanical Tech. There is an automation team in place at other plants but no automation techs currently at Calumet City location.
Straight days – Mon – Fri, starting at 6 or 7 am 10-12 hour shifts, the plants run 24/7 (heavy chemical, have to keep the batches running non stop, overhauls and shutdowns a couple of times a year), health supplement to cutting lubricants, medical devices, vaccines for drugs. $35/hr to start, Union environment.
Reviews annually (Jan – Dec, reviews aren’t tied to performance and are based on Union contract, on probation for the first 90 days. During this period you're getting acclimated with their expected tasks and they’re learning.
Management likes to see an 80 score on the test but it’s not a hard and fast number. If you do well on the electrical test but don’t have extensive PLC experience, you can get more training on PLC’s, still be interested, they look at potential there.
We're seeking qualified individuals to fill the position of Electro-Mechanical Technician. This position will report to the General Supervisor, Maintenance. The Electro-Mechanical Technician is responsible for maintaining and repairing equipment related to the efficient and effective operation of the manufacturing site. In addition, this position is responsible for supporting reduced downtime by responding to equipment failures and conducting/performing the appropriate preventive maintenance to allow for optimum plant reliability. This position is also responsible for on-call coverage during the required off hours to allow for 24/7 maintenance coverage.
Typical Duties May Include:
- Perform work tasks as directed by the General Supervisor of Maintenance
- Maintenance and repair of production equipment included mechanical, plumbing, pipefitting, welding, rigging, and machining.
- Advanced Electronic/Instrumentation troubleshooting/ repair
- Maintain, troubleshoot and repair Process Logic Control (PLC) Systems
- Follow company policies and procedures while maintaining equipment.
- Follow safety policies and procedures in the plant.
- Maintain a clean maintenance shop by keeping good sanitation, housekeeping, and GMP standards.
- Ammonia refrigeration troubleshooting/repair
- Utility troubleshooting/repair (i.e. Boilers)
Candidates Must Possess:
- A High School/GED diploma.
- Minimum of THREE years of maintenance/technical experience with preference given to those with batch or continuous process food or chemical production environment.
- Must be able to successfully pass both Mechanical and Electrical Aptitude qualification test.
- Experience with PLC Control systems is a plus.
- Ability to perform physical job duties including lifting over 50 lbs.
- Ability to work overtime, some weekends and holidays.
- Ability to understand and communicate in English (verbal/written).
- Ability to work in elevated areas (4 feet and above).
- Good math skills, a mechanical aptitude, and have good trouble shooting skills.
- Proficiency in the use of computers with the ability to quickly learn in house programs and systems.
Furthermore, the qualified applicant(s) must possess a proven history to work safely, possess excellent communication/interpersonal skills, be able to function as an effective and positive/value-added member of the operations team in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 12 hour shift
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Maintenance / Technical: 3 years (Required)
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place