Senior Buyer Vista, California
Job Ref: 36200
Reports To: Purchasing Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt Employee Type: FULL TIME
Responsible for purchase order processing and management for ingredients, packaging components, services,
equipment and outside processors in response to purchase requisitions, MRP requirements and company needs.
Select and negotiate with approved suppliers to maintain competitive pricing, and assist with analyzing the market
place and material supply to improve quality, and reduce cost. Coordinate and train personnel engaged in purchasing
raw material, packaging components, and MRO supplies to gain efficiencies. Lead special projects as necessary.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Process purchase orders based on Baan MRP reports for raw materials and packaging components, or purchase
requisitions for non-inventory acquisitions. Work with the supplier and logistics to ensure on-time delivery to
meet all scheduling requirements.
• Maintains accurate and most up-to-date information on purchase orders including price, terms, quantity and
delivery date. Process MRP rescheduling messages as required.
• Communicates in a timely fashion, all information regarding raw material sourcing, pricing, delivery date
changes, results, etc. to appropriate individuals in Procurement, Planning, R&D, and others as necessary.
• Lead sourcing activities for new raw materials and packaging components as needed to meet production and
customer requirements, as well as cost savings. Prioritize as needed.
• Provide timely updates in formulation pricing activities to ensure best sourcing options and pricing is used.
• Ensure that a professional and consistent approach is taken in relation to all supplier, customer, and internal
• Manage supplier relationships and rank suppliers based on various metrics, including returns, quality, and
• Keeps abreast of current market trends, practices, developments, and regulatory changes which would impact
products, procedures, and/or supply. Inform leadership of all options that are available to assist with maintaining
or improving established costs/supply.
• Anticipate potential risks regarding material availability, identify actual challenges, and take proactive steps to
achieve resolution while informing appropriate personnel.
• Develop / present ideas and strategies to reduce costs, improve operational efficiency, add value and work
towards a strategy of continuous improvement.
• Resolve non-conformance items through internal and external processes including root cause analysis, corrective
actions. Ensure rejected material is returned to supplier within established guidelines and that credits /
replacement are received in a timely manner when appropriate.
• Maintain constant focus on quality and drive continuous improvement within the procurement process and supply
• Assist in new item and supplier set up processes.
• Assist in maintaining all item purchase data to ensure accurate and up to date lead times, MOQ’s, Order
• Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selection methods, procurement techniques
and evaluation criteria for obtaining best possible results.
• Represent Purchasing in interdepartmental meetings and cross-functional teams.
• Must be a self-starter and be able to work in conjunction and independently of others in the department.
• Participate in annual physical inventory as required.
• Participate in special projects as required.
• BS degree or higher is preferred. Will consider candidates with a high school diploma and a minimum of 5 years’
experience in the pharmaceutical or nutraceutical industry.
• Knowledge of materials management and MRP systems. Prior Baan system experience is a plus.
• APICS, CPSM, or related certification desired. • Must be proficient with computer applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
• Statistical analysis skills; must be able to analyze trends and statistical data and make appropriate decisions and
• Effective interpersonal, negotiation, and decision-making skills.
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Must be highly organized & disciplined about completing tasks within deadlines.
Supervise clerical positions as directed by the Purchasing Manager or Director. Supervise buyers and clerical positions
in the absence of the Purchasing Manager and leads buyers and clerical personal on special projects assigned by the
Purchasing Manager or Senior Leadership Team.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands to finger, handle,
or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop and kneel; talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception,
and the ability to adjust and focus.
• Lifting requirement: Up to 30 pounds
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon request to enable individuals
with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• See Qualifications section.
• As required to execute Duties and Responsibilities.
• Meet or beat purchase price targets.
• Strong written and oral communication skills; must be able to communicate with all levels of the organization.
• Computer, Printer, Scanner, Copier, Telephone.
Computer workstation and climate-controlled office environment. May occasionally enter production areas where personal protective equipment might be required to prevent or lessens exposure to airborne-borne powdered nutritional supplement substances.