Engineering Manager (CONFIDENTIAL) San Leandro, California
Job Ref: 36190
The Engineering Manager is responsible for directing and coordinating the activities of the Engineering Department in an effort to design, install, test, and train team members on chocolate production lines in utilities installations, building upgrades, and workplace safety/GMP installations.
Scope of Responsibilities:
The following list of duties is not all inclusive and is meant to serve as a guide for the scope of work to be carried out by the Engineering Manager:
• Lead the engineering team and coach them through continuous process and performance improvement.
• Ensures proper training level of direct reports through assessing skills level and following up with education.
• Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring subordinates.
• Continuously monitor overall team performance and change the engineering processes / standards and train the team to adopt the new changes.
• Provide support when necessary for new products development.
• Design, plan and organize new installations in strong collaboration with Production, Quality Assurance and R&D Department.
• Manage capital installation work and ensure the projects are both on time and on budget.
• Manage with the direction of the Maint. & Eng. Director the Annual Capital Expenditure budget for the site.
• Ensure efficient hand over of new installations to Production and Maintenance Department through proper training and documentation of new equipment.
• Guide engineering work by contractors or vendors and ensure commissioned performance of installations and compliance with Safety and GMP rules.
• Develop action plans for installations in the facility and follow through in a timely fashion.
• Assist the Maint. & Eng. Director in managing the strategic engineering plan for long term objectives (MTIP).
• Plan and budget the pre-based utility, electricity, gas and water.
• Develop and implement projects for utilities cost and usage reduction.
Position Profile: Attributes for Success
Specific Knowledge and Skills:
• Judgment and decision making skills.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Strong skills in leading and supporting people.
• Good oral and written presentation skills.
• Ability to effectively communicate ideas, concepts and procedures to all levels within the organization, from the factory floor to senior management.
• Ability to set own priorities and to be self-disciplined and consistent.
• Ability to efficiently work independent as well as in a team environment.
• Ability to develop and implement action steps and follow through with the people responsible for them.
• Ability to identify training needs and to define programs to ensure proper training on all levels of the organization.
• Knowledge about safety requirements and CAL-OSHA regulations.
• Understanding of security requirements of a food production plant and knowledge about Federal food safety regulations (bio terrorism act).
• Food or pharmaceutical background preferred.
• Ability to work effectively in a Union environment.
• Computer literacy in MS Office and Auto Cad. ERP knowledge is a plus.
Education and Work Experience:
• BA Degree in Engineering or 5 to 10 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• 3 to 5 years’ experience as an Engineering manager in a foods plant.