Continuous Improvement Manager Salt Lake City, Utah
Job Ref: 36187
Salaried position with typical office hours but candidate must be flexible on some evening work as well. Pay range for this position is 90 – 110k. The position is eligible for a discretionary bonus of 10% of the annual salary.
Continuous Improvement Manager
SUMMARY: The Continuous Improvement Manager’s role is to identify, lead, and execute the CI strategy via Lean, Six Sigma, and other CI methods within their assigned location to deliver bottom line, quantified results. This includes performing business planning, facilitation, value stream maps, execution of kaizen events, and sustainment through standard work and procedures. The CI Manager will enable the cultural transformation through data driven improvement. Regularly interacting and providing insight and influence at all levels of the assigned plant from upper management to the production floor associates in leading and encouraging CI initiatives and work practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Access and select measurement and assessment tools enabling operational and CI Manager to evaluate potential areas for formal Continuous Improvement actions and to subsequently determine their operational and financial value.
- Recommend Continuous Improvement projects (e.g., kaizen events, point kaizens, major project teams, etc.) based on evaluating operational and financial data and qualitative analysis based on observation and discussion; supported by cost/benefit forecasts.
- Project manage approved to achieve chartered goals.
- Coach, counsel, and train team members to apply, support, sustain and develop a Continuous Improvement culture.
- Facilitate Continuous Improvement events as a subject matter expert while engaging operational staff and associates to present ideas and create improvements and solutions.
- Leverage best practices gained through Continuous Improvement activities to other locations which would benefit from implementation.
- Track and report weekly the results of each project.
- Any other duties as assigned by management to support operations.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions, or similar experience (food industry experience strongly desired).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: BS Degree in a related field with five more years of job-related experience in operations, process improvement, or related function. Certified Lean Manager and experience in leading kaizen events and Six Sigma Black Belt preferred.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and write reports and business correspondence. Must be able to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees, candidates, and the public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to apply mathematical concepts and continues improvement to practical situations.
PLANNING AND EXECUTION: Analyze local business effectively and define/communicate a clear direction and go-forward plan. Execute plans individually and by utilizing a cross-functional team to meet/exceed business goals. Define plans for both short- and long-term application and benefit.
Possible Travel. Potential for future Education.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Execute plans individually and through teams, most notably through coordinating and running successful kaizen events with quantified success. Manage own time and to formulate priorities to manage several tasks at once without local or frequent direction. Identify and plan to avoid potential barriers. Facilitate resolving barriers with operations management. Monitor cost, schedule and performance of projects and events. Evaluate and take remedial actions to achieve sustained success.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move about the facility. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move 35 lbs., seldom lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. The employee will be required to move about the facility, could be standing/walking on concrete floors up to 10+ hours per day, 6 days per week. The employee is required to sit, use hand to finger coordination; handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Standing, stooping, walking, bending, and climbing are all expected physical abilities, with or without accommodations.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but sometimes very loud. Must be able to work in 38 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures on a regular basis and at colder temperatures to from time to time. Must also be able to work in 100 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures or more from time to time.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: The hours and days of work are established by departmental needs and at the discretion of management.