PLC Automation Controls Engineer Irwindale, California
Job Ref: 36168
This position will be responsible for identifying and implementing technology to provide automation support to all manufacturing plants. The individual in this position will have good working knowledge of control system technology (PLC's, HMI's, OI's, etc.) as well as grounding in the scientific fundamentals and basic principles of systems used in processing and packaging. This position will have responsibility for development and maintenance of automation / project standards. A solid foundation in the fundamentals of project management will be needed as well. This position will require the individual to manage multiple projects across multiple plants and to take a hands-on approach to design, installations and troubleshooting.
Operating as part of a team, the Automation Engineer is directly accountable to the Director of Technical Services and supports Engineering, Plant Operations, and Maintenance Teams.
- Assessing, identifying and developing automation solutions that support business investments
- Understanding and identifying technology solutions that are best fit for the required solution
- Develop cost estimates, schedules, execution and startup budgets and plans for activities
- Oversight of OEM's, contractors and personnel working on controls projects
- Documentation of automation / control systems (e.g. block flows, single line diagrams, P&ID's, etc.)
- Fundamental project management skills to develop robust time lines and cost estimates for initiatives
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders and collaborate cross functionally
- Effectively Interface with Operations, Maintenance, Engineering, and Procurement teams to support current operations and new installations
- Position will require travel to the facilities as well as vendor and customer locations across North America. Travel estimated to be 25% – 50%
- BS Degree in Engineering
- 5+ years of experience in hands-on automation engineering and programming experience with PLC / HMI / BMS systems in the manufacturing industry
- Minimum 2 years of experience in an FDA regulated industry like Food or BioPharma, etc.
- Minimum 1 year of Automation Management experience over projects or plant personnel
- Excellent people, team, and verbal / written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills required
- Willing to travel extensively to plants as needed
- Ability to work in a cold refrigerated plant environment
- Bachelor's in electrical, chemical, or mechanical engineering or Advanced degree
- Fresh cut Food Produce industry experience.
- Some documentation and computer system validation experience.
- Experience with technologies like; PLC — Rockwell, A/B, Mitsubishi, Modicon, HMI — Fix32, Operator interface terminals like Panel View, etc.
- Automation / Controls engineering experience in a system integrator environment