Quarry Technician Canaan, Connecticut
Job Ref: 36076
The range for this Canaan based Quarry Tech position is $23.95-$31/hr DOE. This is an hourly role.
The company produces synthetic mineral products, mines mineral ores and processes and sells natural mineral products. This segment's products are used principally in the paper, building materials, paint and coatings, glass, ceramic, polymer, food, automotive and pharmaceutical industries.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Quarry Technician at our Canaan, CT location. The Quarry Technician position is responsible for running all necessary equipment and processes in the quarry operation. In doing so, identify color of stone needed, drill holes for explosives and assist with blasting process, break rocks down to crushable size, load trucks with stone, transport stone from areas of the quarry, and run the stone through the crusher. The Quarry Technician position is a continuum beginning at Quarry Technician and progressing through Quarry Technician 4 as skills are gained. Level is determined using training checklist and the accumulation of points as skills are gained. Employees may be assigned to perform any task for which they have been qualified. Employees may also be assigned to positions for which they are working to become qualified as a portion of the training process.
Operate heavy equipment as required and learn to operate primary crusher. Train other employees in the safe operation of any of the equipment. Utilize other equipment and manual tools to keep work areas clean and safe from housekeeping hazards.
*This is considered a safety sensitive position therefore will be subject to random drug testing as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior experience using heavy equipment is strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of the English language is required.
- Knowledge of commercial motor vehicles and manufacturing/production processes is preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, an employee is typically required to have the ability to operate, monitor, and adjust equipment, including commercial motor vehicles, have manual dexterity, use repetitive motions, regularly sit, stand, walk, bend, reach, squat, climb and twist, select and use appropriate equipment/tools to accomplish job duties, read, write, listen, speak and understand English, follow all instructions and other oral/written information, visually inspect equipment/work area/stone, complete paperwork and other documentation accurately, identify, analyze, troubleshoot and solve equipment/work area issues, quickly respond to equipment signals/issues, keep pace with equipment as needed, use judgement to determine where in quarry to obtain needed stone from (based on color and inventory levels) as well as when additional resources are needed to address issues, communicate effectively with others, record labor distribution information from the work shift in writing, be aware of oneself in relation to surrounding equipment, and work independently as well as a team with others.
- Ability to instruct/transfer job information/knowledge to others
- Infrequently lift up to 100 pounds is preferred.
- Work Hours: Must have ability to work the shift/number of hours in which duties need to be accomplished, including overtime, holidays and weekends, as necessary.
- Working Conditions: While performing the duties of this job, an employee is regularly exposed to dust, loud noise, high places, and outside weather conditions including very low and/or bright light. Primarily works alone but also as part of a team. Works in proximity with equipment.
What We Offer:
- Competitive pay, commensurate with experience
- Health/Dental/Vision plans
- 401k company match
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability & Long Term Disability
- Educational Assistance
- Employee Assistance Plan