Operations Manager Oakland, Mississippi
Job Ref: 35972
Operations Manager (Food Manufacturing Plant)
Strong lean manufacturing
background SIx Sigma
food or beverage only
100-110k salary range
Full relocation assistance for this role
Rural Area Oakland MS
Job Description: Operations Manager
The Operations Manager will oversee the planning, and coordination for all production operations and will work closely with warehousing, maintenance, materials, scheduling, and sanitation. This will include coordinating production activities among departments (assembly, packaging, die cut, meat room, and kitchen). The position is responsible for scheduling personnel and production of quality products that meet or exceed customer expectation and company standards. In addition the Operations Manager will act as back up to the General Manager.
• Formulates manufacturing strategies, objectives, plans and programs consistent with the General Manager and the Sr. Director of Operations.
• Establishes production controls in order to minimize waste/downtime, improve capacity and efficiencies, while maintaining product quality and integrity.
• Leads department supervisors and team members in a fast paced, deadline oriented food manufacturing plant, while utilizing assigned resources to maximize manufacturing output.
• Works with R&D to obtain and control projects that develop into production requirements for ongoing business and focus on less waste and increase capacity.
• Assists and supports FSQA programs to safeguard product quality, while ensuring compliance with FDA, and company standards.
• Coordinates production activities with maintenance, FSQA and procurement to obtain optimum production and utilization of labor, equipment and machines.
• Reviews and analyzes production, FSQA, maintenance and operational reports to determine causes of nonconformity with product specification, operating and production problems.
• Directly supervises, trains, coaches, mentors and evaluates direct supervisors and provides support and guidance to improve quality and total production output.
• Ensures food safety is maintained including enforcing the requirements of the food safety procedures, such as HACCP, sanitation, and allergen control program.
• Maintains production line operation by assisting in the solution of production process problems and making equipment recommendations. Works in conjunction with the plant engineer and maintenance manager to resolve equipment problems/failures.
• Maintains high quality standards and zero error tolerance by adhering to Standard Operating Procedures, updating and creating new procedures in equipment, warehousing, and sanitation as needed.
• Establishes creative, cost effective solutions to production, warehouse, and sanitation challenges.
• Manages the training and mentoring of team members, and directs their activities toward the achievement of company and plant goals.
• Collaborates with the maintenance manager to ensure equipment is in good working order through effective preventative maintenance program, making adjustments and recommending improvements.
• Provides direction and supervision to production team as they work. Includes weekly time card approval, assigning production duties, annual performance reviews and identifying the best people for the job.
• Hires, trains, evaluates, resolves employee relations issues in coordination with human resources.
• Establishes the proper and collaborative team environment to ensure there is a strong customer focus in all activities of the department at all times.
• Manages the performance and activities of the operations team via effective communication and utilizing available performance development tools.
• Develops and manages budgets while monitoring and controlling expenditures to conform to budgetary requirements.
• Promotes and maintains the company culture of employee safety, food safety and quality, innovation and collaboration.
• Bachelor's degree preferred, at a minimum, with 7-10 years of direct hands-on experience in operations and food production experience.
• Will have a thorough knowledge of manufacturing methods, techniques, and related equipment.
• Recommend capital equipment needs and methods of improvement to maintain and improve competitive production efficiency.
• Able to respond well to pressure and think from different perspectives, in order to create a climate of innovation.
• Understands how to prioritize and plan department’s work flow and its relationship to the overall plant operation.
• Must be able to manage multiple tasks and priorities and easily adapt to changing situations.
• Must be detail and performance oriented, with high level of accuracy, and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong leadership and team building skills. With the ability to build and maintain credibility as a result of coherent action, leadership and achievement.
• Articulate communicator, who will have a positive and stimulating influence on others with strong communication up and down the organization.
• Strategic thinker with the ability to set and meet goals and demonstrate responsibility for own work as well as that of others.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment by identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
• Strong desire and ability to work in fast paced deadline orientated environment.
• Computer skills in report generation and Microsoft applications required.
• Must be able to work flexible hours to include overtime and weekends when needed.