Director Of Purchasing Tarrytown, New York
Job Ref: 35854
THE CANDIDATE HAS TO HAVE THE FOLLOWING SKILL SETS:
OVERSEAS CONTRACT MANUFACTURING SKILLS
PURCHASING MANY PRODUCTS NOT JUST ONE ITEM EXPEREINCE (EXAMPLES): TRADER JOES. RESTAURANT DEPOT, RAW MATERIAL PURCHASES OF MANY BRANDS !!!!
MUST HAVE EXPEREINCE WITH PLASTICS & RESALE COMMODITY ITEMS WITH AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS. THIS IS A KEY REQUIREMENT!!!
DIRECTOR OF PURCHASING IN TARRYTOWN NY. MUST COME OUT OF FOOD OR PLASTIC MANUFACTURING. 160-175K SALARY RANGE H
Job Profile –
Person needs to be highly experienced in purchasing. They are a unique blend of strategic thinking, keen commercial sense and “getting things done”. They are knowledgeable of global markets and has mastery of a wide range of purchasing activities including commodity trading, negotiation of contracts, delivering cost savings, finding alternative sources of supply, etc. A highly collaborative leader they also have a proven track record of building an effective purchasing team “from the ground up”.
Needs to have previous industry (packaging and food service) experience and complex line up and rapidly changing environment.
Strengths Finder: Strategic, Analytical, Relator, Achiever, Communications
- Key responsibilities for this position include:
- Development of a purchasing strategy to achieve short and long-term results. This includes a “clean sheet” assessment of the company’s current state, a three-year future state design and a phased transition plan (including resource and investment requirements).
- Recommend and coordinate what is sourced corporately and locally
- Manage the competive bid processes including RFP’s, RFI’s, and RFQ’s.
- Lead the development, negotiation, and execution of key contracts.
- Key participant in the New Product Development process as well as identification and qualification of reliable suppliers and new sources of supply.
- Proactively monitor the external global marketplace and key cost drivers including raw materials, currency exchange rates, freight, labor, etc. Identify and execute key opportunities in both price and alternate materials and achieve the right balance between cost & quality.
- Partnering with the Sales & Operations Planner to develop reliable forecasts and optimize inventory.
- Determine what buying is best handled corporately as well as at each location
- Hire, train, develop and evaluate members of the corporate purchasing team.
- Provide strategic sourcing guidance and knowledge of best practices to both the purchasing team and other Kari-Out leaders. This includes proposing and utilizing written Standard Operating Procedures (SOPS) for purchasing and vendors.
- Sourcing managers
Near Term Deliverables
- Prioritization and agreement on purchasing sourcing, cost, and development actions for the next 180 days.
- Purchasing assessment by top 25 purchases, to include pricing, supply security, and recommended actions
- Prioritization assessment of target items or areas for purchase cost savings improvement (with $ targets)
- Assessment of the purchasing group, to include work processes, SOPs, capabilities, and people. Development of a gap analysis and prioritized recommended actions.
- Establishment of New product or material sourcing plan (to be updated quarterly)
Desired Education and Experience
- Highly experienced purchasing leader with 7-10+ years of global strategic sourcing and vendor relationship experience, preferably in a process-oriented operations and/or related industry (food, paper or plastic would be ideal). This includes commodity and trading experience.
- Deep understanding of key markets, able to assess adjacent markets, substitutions, key trends, threats and develop a solid business vision.
- Proven track record of building a successful purchasing team and collaborating closely with key company leaders, functional resources (such as Manufacturing, Logistics, Marketing and Sales), and external resources.
- Experience with competitive bidding (RFI, RFP, RFQ), calculating total cost of ownership, grading and scoring of non-cost factors, vendor selection, and vendor risk assessment
- Solid track record of
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, planning skills and proficiency with MS Excel and Word. Experience with MS PowerPoint, SAP, MS Access and e-Sourcing techniques is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA or BS) in Business, Engineering, Purchasing, Supply Chain Management or a 4-year technical degree in related discipline. MBA is a plus.
- A leader with the right blend of strategic, keen commercial and operating (“get stuff done”) skills
- Building highly effective, collaborative working relationships at all levels in the organization
- Strong ability to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing)
- Deep skills and experience in negotiation
- Ability to handle multiple complex tasks at one time.
- Effectively leading change in a small business environment
- Detail oriented, tech savvy, willingness to continually learn and embrace new approaches
- Bias to action, calmly solves problems, follow-throughs, holds self & others accountable, willingness to do what it takes to get the job done