Maintenance Mechanic 1 Calera, Alabama
Job Ref: 35687
This is a Union environment, Mechanics start at 90% of union rate $29.76/hr rate which will be $26.78/hr and they'll have to complete 1100 hours on 10-12 hour shifts, or 960 hours for 8 hour shift to move up to $29.76/hr. In 2021 the base rate will increase to 30.36/hr.
Schedule is 6 am – 4:30 pm or 7 am – 3:30 pm (1/2 hour unpaid lunch), Monday – Friday day shift work schedule with weekends off unless there’s an emergency, outage, or special project going on.
Prefer industrial and heavy equipment type experience, 3-5 years, will work on mobile, front end loaders, 70 ton dump trucks, excavators, etc., this is a surface mine, should have heavy equipment experience, Stick/Tig/Mig welding, roller mills, repairs, dealing with very hot large rotary kilns. There is lots of PM work, work orders, NOTE – this is NOT a climate controlled environment, kilns are HOT – 1200 degrees and it's all outside, dusty, dirty, dealing with Lime so you have to be okay with working in an outdoor environment. Maintenance group is mainly day shift and there are call outs, they have shut downs where they’re required to be there for a 12 hour shift (only 2-3 times a year), dealing mainly with limestone, There are about 12 mechanics, 5 electricians, about 19 total in maintenance at this location, about 100 total employees. There are 4 large kilns, backhoes, pneumatics, hydraulic, gears, motors.
They have starting mechanic and electrician classifications and then you can advance to a multicraft classification. Positions are due to some mechanics leaving. They have good camaraderie in maintenance, it's a positive environment, there are teams of two mechanics. There’s advancement opportunities to multicraft classification, can learn electrical skills, they’ve promoted someone to a Production Supervisor, a Maintenance Planner, depends on the mechanic's initiative and direction they want to advance in, there are also relocation opportunities as they have many plants.
Benefits are great, reasonable cost, 401k with maximum of 4% match (1st 3% dollar for dollar, next 2% is .50 cents on the dollar), choice of Blue Cross/Blue Shield, they foster a team atmosphere here, groups are dedicated to improving, this is a family owned business, not publicly traded, they're growing as they have two more kilns that are going into Texas, they take care of their employees, there is a lot of personal growth education, amazing tuition reimbursement. Once you reach 1 year, you get 40 hours of vacation and it increases at 3 years, you're able to participate in the 401k immediately, once you reach 3 years, the vacation moves up to 80 hours a year. There is also holiday pay and PTO.
To perform maintenance inspections, repairs and rebuilds on all plant operating equipment. This role is critical to achieving Plant OEE and Equipment.
Availability goals by elimination of unplanned stops and extended downtime. Incumbents in the position are required to participate in company-sponsored training and certification programs to ensure that their job knowledge and skills meet evolving company standards.
- Must comply with company, state and governmental health and safety regulations at all times
- Must complete and document Workplace Inspections in a timely manner
- Must be able to perform preventive maintenance checks and report findings (both verbally and in writing).
- Must participate in the work order initiation process when required
- Must ensure all inventory parts are correctly charged from Stores as per company procedures
- Must be well versed in the installation and maintenance of all types of bearings
- Must possess a good knowledge of oil and grease seals and their applications
- Must possess a good knowledge of lubricants and their uses
- Must be able to perform shaft alignments using precision alignment tools
- Must be able to perform chain and sprocket installation and alignments
- Must be able to perform belt and sheave installation and alignment
- Must be able to install and align all types of new equipment
- Must be able to disassemble and rebuild all types of crushing, screening, and conveying equipment
- Must posses a high level of rigging skills
- Must have experience and expertise in the installation of pneumatic and hydraulic piping systems including the use of proper fittings and connectors
- Must be able to troubleshoot and repair all plant environmental equipment and demonstrate knowledge of baghouse operation
- Must be able to service and perform all types of repairs to air compressors presently in service
- Ensures maintenance tools are kept in good condition, repaired or replaced when necessary
- Must perform post-job inspection to ensure a high level of housekeeping standards
- Must perform all tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to effectively communicate and interact with supervisors and peers.
- Must know, understand and observe all department and plant safety rules and maintain a high level of housekeeping in assigned work areas.
- Must possess basic computer skills on how to use MS Office products and SAP.
- Ability to read, write, and interpret documents such as work orders, blue prints, mechanical drawings, safety rules, standard operating procedures, maintenance instructions, and procedural manuals.
- Knowledgeable of current environmental regulations and practices as they relate to the lime industry.
- Must be able to work any shift, overtime, be on-call, or work seven days a week including holidays and be flexible to schedule changes.
- Industrial background with good troubleshooting skills.
- Must be able perform basic mathematical computations.
- Ability to detect potential problems through observation in the field.
- Must be able to work 12 hour shifts for an extended day period during plant outages.
- Must have a telephone and be open to call-outs.
- Proven self-direction and leadership abilities.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks/projects and meeting all required deadlines.
- Must be a team player who works well with others.
- Must be open minded, willing to learn, and receptive to change.
- Strong record of attendance reliability.
- Must possess and maintain a complete set of personal hand tools as per the company list
- Must be able to operate plant mobile equipment
- Must be proficient in the use of precision measuring tools (micrometers, dial indicators, etc.)
- Must be qualified to weld in all four positions (certification)
- Must be proficient in all kinds of acetylene cutting and welding
- Should be able to perform thickness testing
- Should understand what thermography is used for
- Should have a complete understanding of non-destructive testing
- Should possess some knowledge of the CMMS system and be willing to correctly complete work orders and checklists including signing and dating
- Must be able to troubleshoot and perform repairs to hydraulic/pneumatics systems
- Must be physically able to perform work assigned.
- Must be physically capable of accessing all plant locations.
- Access all areas within a site which could include heights of 120 feet, confined spaces, climbing ladders or stairs, and accessing tunnels.
- Will be working at times in covered environment but mainly in a lime/mineral environment.
- The employee will be exposed to the following working conditions: Extreme Heat and Cold, Noise, Vibration, Oils, and Atmospheric Conditions such as Dust, Fumes, and Lime/Mineral Particles.
- The employee will be required to perform the following actions (from time to time): Standing, walking, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, talking, seeing, hearing and sitting.
- Ability to occasionally lift/carry 50 pounds.
3-5 years mechanical experience including welding, equipment alignments, equipment troubleshooting, reading of blue prints and mechanical drawings.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. Completion of an apprenticeship program, technical program, or equivalent experience in industrial background.
For this position, being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.